Research School Network: Improving Secondary Literacy – modular A course designed to support secondary schools to master the reading and writing challenges of the curriculum in every subject.
Improving Secondary Literacy – modular
A course designed to support secondary schools to master the reading and writing challenges of the curriculum in every subject.
Event category: Modules
25 January, 2021 | 09:15 - 11:15
1 February, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
10 March, 2021 | 09:15 - 11:15
18 March, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
24 March, 2021 | 09:15 - 11:15
27 May, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
15 June, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
5 July, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
13 July, 2021 | 13:30 - 15:30
Over nine modules, participants will develop a deep understanding of what the research says makes for effective teaching of disciplinary (subject-specific) literacy, and apply this in their schools. Participants will be given a wealth of strategies for vocabulary instruction, reading and writing in every subject discipline.
Outcomes of the programme:
- Evaluate current practice in light of the evidence
- Explore evidence-based reading and writing strategies
- Enhance assessment and intervention as part of a whole-school focus on literacy
- Mobilise a whole-school approach to disciplinary literacy.
Who is it for?
This programme is aimed at senior leaders of curriculum, subject leads and literacy coordinators.
Modules 1 – 3:
- Explore the evidence
- Audit your school and subject’s current practice.
Modules 4 – 6:
- Evaluate how you currently model writing to pupils
- Develop strategies to improve spelling
- Define literacy aims as a whole-school approach.
Modules 7 – 9:
- Evaluate your school’s approach to interventions
- Apply the EEF guidance on effective implementation.